(Photo by Sam Patet)
stablished in 1957, the Diocese of New Ulm is a community of 76 parishes and 4 oratories serving Catholics throughout 15 counties in Minnesota: Big Stone, Brown, Chippewa, Kandiyohi, Lac Qui Parle, Lincoln, Lyon, McLeod, Meeker, Nicollet, Redwood, Renville, Sibley, Swift, and Yellow Medicine. The Diocese of New Ulm is Minnesota's most rural diocese, home to a total population of 284,768 with a Catholic population of 61,917 according to the 2012 Official Catholic Directory. It is an area serving some 9,863 square miles of Southwestern Minnesota prairie.
Dancing for the Lord
Johann Alvarez, coordinator of Hispanic youth and young adult ministry for the Diocese of New Ulm, dances with a group of children and teenagers as he sings one of his most popular songs, "En Busca del Nectar" ("In Search of Nectar"), at a Feb. 2 concert at St. Philip's Catholic Church in Litchfield. Since starting his job last May, he's been getting youth excited about the faith through Christian-music concerts featuring songs he has composed, faith-sharing groups, and other activities.
Read more about his work on page 5 of the March Prairie Catholic.
Catholic Schools Week 2014
Click here for a snapshot of all the good things happening in
Catholic schools throughout the Diocese of New Ulm.
'Fourth Plan for Parishes' Online
The "Fourth Plan for Parishes" is available online. Click here to access it.
Bishop LeVoir's Pilgrimage
to Eastern Europe
(Krakow, Prague, & Budapest)
August 4-13, 2014
New Pastoral Center Construction
Click here for information on the construction of the new Pastoral Center, including construction photos updated weekly.
Visit the Campaign's official site
(Continually updated with campaign totals.)
Why a "Christ our Life" Capital Campaign?
For more than fifty years, no place has been more associated with diocesan leadership than the Pastoral Center in New Ulm. But due to the deterioration of the building, the original diocesan home needs to be replaced.
The current diocesan Pastoral Center was originally designed as a private residence for the Diocese of New Ulm’s first bishop, the Most Reverend Alphonse J. Schladweiler. Over the years, the structure slowly transitioned from a residence to office space. Today, it is no longer home to the bishop or other clergy; it houses the diocese’s main ministries, operations, and the bishop’s staff. The diocese has regularly maintained the building. However, no major and necessary updating of the heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical systems is possible without extensive demolition because the pipes and conduit that serve these systems are encased in the cement wall of the building. "From the outside the building looks good and solid," said Bishop LeVoir. "But they put all the utilities and everything in poured concrete. Now they're decayed and decaying, causing real problems. The building is deteriorating."
"Christ Our Life" Campaign coverage
Diocesan Council of Catholic Women
find out more!
To Contact the Diocese of New Ulm:
1400 6th Street North
New Ulm, MN 56073-2099